- Amazon ElastiCache is a web service used to manage in-memory cache in the cloud.
- High performance, cost effective and scalable service.
- Amazon ElastiCache supports two open-source in-memory caching engines i.e Redis and Memcached
ElastiCache is a web service that is used to set up, manage and scale a distributed in-memory cache environment in the cloud in easy way.
It provides a high-performance, scalable and cost-effective caching solution.
It also remove complexity associated with deploying and managing a distributed cache environment.
User can quickly deploy their cache environment, without provisioning hardware or installing software.
Memcached or Redis protocol-compliant cache engine software are used to cache memory in Elasticache.
ElastiCache automatically perform software upgrades and patch management.
To enhanced security, ElastiCache can be run in the Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (Amazon VPC) environment.
Cache Engine: Memcached
Memcached provides a very simple interface that allows the user to write and read objects into in-memory key/ value data stores.
With Amazon ElastiCache, user can elastically grow and shrink a cluster of Memcached nodes to meet their demands.
User can partition their cluster into shards and support parallelized operations for very high performance throughput.
Memcached deals with objects as blobs that can be retrieved using a unique key.
Cache Engine: Redis
In late 2013, Amazon ElastiCache added support to deploy Redis clusters.
This service supports the deployment of Redis version 2.8.24, and also a number of older versions.
Beyond the object support provided in Memcached, Redis supports a rich set of data types likes strings, lists, and sets.
Unlike Memcached, Redis supports the ability to persist the in-memory data onto disk.
Cache Engine: Redis
This allow users to create snapshots that back up their data and then recover or replicate from the backups.
Redis clusters also can support up to five read replicas to offload read requests.
Redis also has advanced features that make it easy to sort and rank data.
Some common use cases include building a leaderboard for a mobile application or serving as a high-speed message broker in a distributed system.
ElastiCache has multiple features to enhance reliability for critical production deployments
- Automatic detection and recovery from cache node failures.
- Multi-AZ with Automatic Failover that support replication
- Flexible Availability Zone placement of nodes and clusters.
- Integration with other AWS services such as Amazon EC2, Amazon CloudWatch, AWS CloudTrail, and Amazon SNS to provide a secure, high-performance, managed in-memory caching solution.