What is MATLAB?
1. Is an abbreviation to MATrix LABoratory.
2. Is compatible with OOPs.
3. Provides easy access to matrix softwares developed by LINPACK and EISPACK projects.
Key Features of MATLAB
1. It is a high-level language for numerical computation, visualization and application development.
2. It also provides an interactive environment for iterative exploration, design and problem solving.
3. It provides built-in graphics for visualizing data and tools for creating custom plots.
4. It provides tools for building applications with custom graphical interfaces.
5. It provides functions for integrating MATLAB based algorithms with external applications and languages such as C, Java, .NET and Microsoft Excel.
Student Edition of MATLAB
1. The professional and student editions of MATLAB ® are very similar.
2. Student editions are available for Microsoft Windows, Mac OSX, and Linux operating systems.
3. It can be purchased from college bookstores or online from The MathWorks at http://www.mathworks.com.
4. The MathWorks packages its software in groups called releases.
5. New versions are released every 6 months.
6. The release number is the same for both the student and professional edition, but the student version may lag the professional version by several months.
7. Toolboxes other than those included with the student edition may be purchased separately.
8. The biggest difference between the professional and student editions is the command prompt, which is >> in the professional version and EDU>> in the student edition.
Problem Solving in Engineering and Science
1. State the problem .
2. Describe the input values (knowns) and the required outputs (unknowns).
3. Develop an algorithm to solve the problem. In computer applications, this can often be accomplished with a hand example .
4. Solve the problem.
5. Test the solution.